home

archives

December 2014 home page

support us

Double Centennial Celebration
Photos Nancy Fisher

In 1914 Del Mar opened a branch of the San Diego County Library as well as a new building for its Church, St James Catholic. Because the library has occupied that building since 1996, the two trajectories have merged. The Del Mar Library celebrated the double Centennial on Saturday, November 1st.

Chiquita Abbott, the Del Mar realtor who initially suggested the City buy the former church building for a new library, recalls the history of negotiations and fund raising that enabled the Library to move from a trailer on Ninth Street to its current location.
Photo Nancy Fisher

 

Pat Freeman, President of the Del Mar Library, with Dave Roberts, County Supervisor, at the Centennial Celebration of the Del Mar Library. Photo Nancy Fisher.

 

 

 

© 2007-2015 Del Mar Community Alliance, Inc.  All rights reserved.

 
 

 

ackli