Lisa Renner | Via Alta
|Graphic Lisa Renner.
Click to enlarge.
TO CELEBRATE OUR GROWING NUMBERS OF LOCAVORES, Del Mar’s Farmers’ Market Board of Directors will take turns each month to feature a recipe with primary ingredients available at the Saturday market. This month’s recipe is compliments of Lisa Renner, Director of Scholarships. In addition to many of the ingredients for the recipe below, the Del Mar Farmers’ Market also has a variety of prepared appetizers and desserts that compliment any meal.
Quinoa Summer Salad
Serves four as a main dish or six as a side dish
• 1 cup cooked quinoa
• 1/2 cup almonds-Hopkins AG
• 1 small clove garlic, minced- Schaner Farms
• 2 small green onions, thinly sliced- Schaner Farms and Valdivia
• 3/4 cup cucumber, diced-seasonal, various vendors
• 1 cup red or green apple, diced-Smit
• 1 cup red pepper, diced- Kawano
• 1/2 cup celery, diced- seasonal, various vendors
• 1 Hungarian hot pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
• Juice of 1 lemon- Bernard, Rancho Mexico Lindo, and Schaner
• 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
• 1 package extra firm tofu (optional), cubed
1. Rinse quinoa under cold running water. Combine quinoa with 2 cups of water in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer until grains are translucent (about 15 minutes).
2. In a small dry skillet, toast the almonds until slightly browned, stirring often, for 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Rinse the tofu under cool water and cube.
4. In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, almonds, tofu, and remaining ingredients. Toss and check seasoning, add more lemon juice and/or salt if desired.
5. Serve and enjoy!